Friday, January 6
And so the AC unit was hanging in the window well...
I was sitting at book club tonight and thought of another funny story to tell. Someday I will make this blog a cute scrapbook page of my beautiful children, but tonight isn't someday yet. And a lot of my fun blog friends tell me they love these stories. So, I will share one I have been too prideful to share until now. Because now it is funny, then... it wasn't so funny. And my father in law still doesn't know, so lets keep it that way. A few summers ago, I was productive. Very productive, I had 3 kids, wasn't pregnant and I got things done. Strange isn't it. Any way, Terry went in on buying an old rear tine rotor tiller with his brother and father. I was fine with that, and I like to use tools. A lot! So on a nice Saturday, Terry was in the house watching Football (did you know football is of the devil?) and I wanted the RV pad tilled. We don't have an RV and it's just dirt, but I am helping you visualize this. We park our truck on the dirt to the right of our driveway. I wanted the dirt smoothed out so it would look nice. So mind you I am kind of ticked that Terry won't come out and till it for me. I am ready to rake and get things done for the day. Well I got this super smart idea to just do it myself. So I am doing great, the dirt looks great, I did nick the cement driveway, but Terry would never notice. I am on my 2nd to last till line right next to the house, and I go to pull it into neutral. Well it won't shift and it keeps right on going. Now I consider myself a pretty strong person and I haven't met a tool I couldn't handle. I quickly realized I couldn't handle the tiller. NOT AT ALL! I tried pulling it back, I tried shifting it, and finally I raced around the huge thing and pulled the spark plug or something. It finally died. Oh, it died all right, It died after it had gone over and chewed up the cement pad that comes out of our garage, over the curbing to my flower bed, chewing it up, onto the fiberglass pad that the AC unit is on, chewing it up, and finally pushing the AC unit into a window well. Not good! Not good at all! It may as well have just chewed my marriage as well. I cannot express the fury I felt! I can honestly say I was so upset I thought I could burst. I KNOW flames were coming out of my ears! And I was ready to beat my husband. BECAUSE THIS WAS HIS FAULT! Right? Yes, of course I am right! So I try pulling the tiller back and I can't, I am not strong enough, I try pulling the AC Unit that is hanging by the cords coming out of the house. I am not strong enough, and it is twice my size. Now I know I will have to get Terry. Usually I can cover up damage, this isn't going to go so well. But this is his fault, he should have been doing it! So I head in and stand in between the TV and him, and I don't talk, I don't yell, I scream at him in the most scary threatening way a woman possibly can, and tell him very firmly "IF YOU SAY A WORD TO ANYONE I WILL KILL YOU! Then I humbled my tone and said "GET OUT OF HERE, I NEED YOUR HELP". Noticing that I was acting a little "crazy", he didn't say a word. Good thing too! He didn't shake his head or take a deep breath like he usually does when I tick him off. I think the damage was so great he was in shock. And I was still in "crazy" mode. As Terry is trying to pull the AC unit out of the window well our neighbor Jason whom we were on good terms with walks up and asks if he can help. NO HE CAN'T! I turned with tears steaming down my cheeks and screamed in my not so nice and very threatening voice "NOT A WORD!" He knew to walk away. We are still on good terms. Anyway, Terry was nice about it, I think he knew better than to not be nice. But for over a year the incident still brought tears to my eyes because of the embarrassment. Now it is hilarious, however if my father in law finds out I fear he will stop lending me his tools. This warm December weather reminded me of spring, and spring reminds me of the tiller. Love you all, Julia
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love the story! I was mowing the lawn once and ran over a rope that was steadying our tree. The mower sucked it up and the lawn mower was hanging from the tree when I had to go get Justin to come get it. By the way Brett Johnson had stopped by and was talking with Justin when I had to explain. I still hate mowing that part of the yard!
ReplyDelete